Fortunately, staying healthy doesn’t require a gym membership! Here are two simple exercises you can do to stay fit both mentally and physically in the privacy of your own home, no equipment or gym membership required.
All yoga devotees are well-acquainted with the plank, a simple bodyweight exercise capable of strengthening your entire body, though it specifically addresses your core, or midsection. Fitness experts love the plank because it’s the foundation for almost everything you do, provides total-body strengthening and is appropriate for all age groups.
1. Begin in a kneeling position. Bend your elbows to 90 degrees and pitch forward to place your hands and forearms on the floor.
2. Extend your legs behind you with toes tucked under to press into the plank. Distribute weight in your hands evenly by spreading your fingers apart, creating a stable base.
If there’s one exercise you should do every day, it’s the squat, according to certain fitness experts. “50 squats a day will keep the doctor away — seriously,” says Dr. Christopher Stepien, a sports therapist and chronic pain expert, in a fitness article in ActiveTimes®.“Daily squats will help you mentally and will even give you better yearly check-ups with your primary physician.”
Here’s how to do a basic squat.
1. Stand with your head facing forward and your chest held up and out.
2. Place your feet shoulder-width apart or slightly wider.
3. Sit back and down like you’re sitting into an imaginary chair.
4. Lower down so your thighs are as parallel to the floor as possible, with your knees over your ankles.
Our passion at Belle Marin Aesthetic Medicine is helping you live your fullest life. For your safety, our office is temporarily closed, but you can still sign up for practice updates and upcoming specials and events, so please join our email list today. You may also call (415) 887-8718 and we will get back to you as soon as possible.